Happy New Year, everyone! This is just a list of things I enjoyed in 2012, in no particular order:
1. My new job. I'm still living basically hand-to-mouth but I really enjoy it and things seem to be progressing nicely.
2. Zero Punctuation. Yahtzee Croshaw is a funny, insightful bastard. His humor has been getting more moral of late as well (i.e., excising the gay jokes), which is great and hard to pull off.
3. New family! My sister got married this year to a guy I knew from elementary school and while they are scraping along money-wise like everyone else I know they seem in good spirits and I'm happy for them. UPDATE: They've got a cute vacation blog here.
4. Spec Ops: The Line. This is the finest piece of art I experienced in 2012, something that affected me profoundly and had me thinking about it for weeks afterwards.
5. Terry Pratchett. I'm almost completely through with the Discworld books, and for me they represent the very best of pop art. They're well-crafted, entertaining, gripping reads with deep and thoughtful social commentary on an impressive variety of subjects, everything from gender and class politics to war to economics. Furthermore, his work on assisted dying is excellent.
What are your favorite things from last year?