The internet is alight with tributes to the cranky bastard. Here are some of my favorites of his:
1. The moral and aesthetic nightmare of Christmas.
2. On the death of Jesse Helms: Farewell to a Provincial Redneck.
3. A savage takedown on the death of Jerry Falwell.
4. A far kinder obituary of Hunter S. Thompson.
5. Mother Teresa: a fanatic, a fundamentalist, and a fraud.
6. Perhaps my favorite: against taboos.
UPDATE: On the other hand, it's important not to forget even Hitch could be staggeringly full of shit.
UPDATE II: Gawker and Greenwald pile on. Also see this amazingly boneheaded article, titled "In Defense of Endless War." And the man called himself a fan of Orwell??